HARLEM - BORCULO - ZUTPHEN


 Since no more land was available in the DRENTHE, VRIESLAND, ZEELAND, and HOLLAND settlements for farming, some of the new people arriving and even those already in the GRAAFSCHAP area began moving into the more Eastern and Northern edges of the areas already settled. The Dutch began to move eastward from Drenthe and north from Zeeland and North Holland before the close of the Civil War(1861-1865). In 1869 settlers established a new Reformed congregation at Forest Grove, 4 miles east of Drenthe. Relentlessly the Dutch pressed upon the American population, bought their farms, and took their places.



                        HARLEM:
People began moving into this area in the 1850's, but penetration of the area which was swampy, was not completed until 20 years after the Civil War(1861-1865). The towns only gradually came into existence.



                         BORCULO / (KLUNDERSTAD):
 Five(5) miles north of Zeeland, -at first, about 1881 a few families living there called the settlement KLUNDERSTAD, after Jakob Klunderman, in whose house they met for devotions. In 1883 the community changed its name to BORCULO. Van Raaltes' group at first discovered this area north of the Black River was all a dense swamp, wilderness, and stagnant waters and turned them to other parts for settling. But latter when all the good land was taken the settlers discovered that by burning over the land and digging drains however, it became possible later to clear this area. Then Gradually the settlers moved into the Borculo and surrounding areas [Rusk, Blendon, South Blendon, Farowe(named after the Van Farowe family)].



                          ZUTPHEN:
A Christian Reformed Congregation in Zutphen was formed as early as 1884.


 Return to Dutch Settlements Index:

 Return to Luann DeVries Page: